Like locals love to say: you come for the winter, but you stay for the summer.
1. You get out of the shower and barely even have to dry your hair.
Goodbye blow dryer.
2. Your idea of playing hookie from work is going on a six-mile hike.
3. You think Stand Up Paddle boards are for the river.
4. Your single-track mountain biking partner is your 8-eight-year-old son.
And he’s probably faster than you.
5. You don’t mind walking up Berrypicker Trail just so your dog can take the gondola down.
Dogs ride down for free!
6. Why drive when you can ride the free public bus to the trailhead.
7. You eat at Moe’s at least once a week.
…and La Cantina.
8. You complain how hot it is when it gets into the 70s.
9. You go to Hot Summer Nights for the social scene as much as the music.
Hey, it’s free. And everyone’s there!
10. Golf carts are for amateurs when you can opt for the golf bike.
The perfect way to get the most out of the Vail Rec District Course.
11. You love the Vail Lacrosse Shootout.
For the eye candy, not necessarily the competition.
12. The Gore Creek isn’t just a pretty stream. It’s an active paddle playground.
13. Your kids got more cavities from Fourth of July than Halloween.
14. Your biggest competition in the La Sportiva Vail Mountain Trail Running Race Series is an 80-year-old.
15. Your restaurant shops for dinner at the Vail Farmers’ Market and Art Show.
At least when you eat at places like Kelly Liken.
16. Your night out at the movies comes with a gourmet dinner.
17. Because parking in the municipal lot is cheaper than your hotel.
Hint: it’s free.
18. You get excited by the first sighting of Columbine.
It’s the state flower of Colorado!
19. You have (and use) at least three different types of GoPro mounts.
But still don’t know what Photo Burst mode is for.
20. But then, you probably got them for free at the GoPro Mountain Games.
21. Speaking of the Mountain Games, your favorite summer spectator sport is slacklining.
Or maybe Dock Dogs.
22. Your company’s idea of Summer Fridays is leaving work early and going for a float on the Colorado River.
In your boss’ raft.
23. Who needs ballpark hotdogs when you have Swiss Hotdogs?
That would be two links made of veal and pork topped with homemade mustard and sprouts.
24. All your selfies are taken on top of mountain peaks.
25. You’d fix that crack in your windshield, but it would eat into your fly fishing schedule.
26. You don’t understand why people travel to New York when Nobu, the New York Philharmonic and American Ballet Theater dancers will come to you.
Matsuhisa, BravoVail! and the Vail International Dance Festival are all right in Vail Village. And much easier to get tickets/reservations to.
27. You go crazy over sightings of Lindsey.
Vonn, not Lohan.
28. You even marvel at the view from the parking lot.
You almost forget about all the cars.
29. You only enjoy yoga when it’s outside.
30. Because Vail looks just as good from the sky as it does from the ground.
31. When you see people riding their bikes over Vail Pass you get jealous it isn’t you.
Video available at: http://youtube.com/watch?v=H18_jbt22B4. Benjamin Solomon
32. Rain isn’t an excuse to go inside. It’s just an excuse to break out your rain gear.
33. You’re obsessed with Crazy Mountain Brewery.
34. You get “The Hills Are Alive” from The Sound of Music stuck in your head at least once a month.
35. You get nostalgic for the days when frisbee golf wasn’t a family sport.
Kendyl Lee Severino
It’s not just a stoner game anymore.
36. You don’t celebrate special occasions with champagne. You celebrate it with Fireball Whiskey.
Tastes like heaven, burns like hell.
37. At least three of your friends are recovering from ACL surgery.
38. The best raw bar you know of is at 11,000 feet.
At the Game Creek Club.
39. If there is snow, you will find it.
And most likely ski it.
40. It’s so beautiful, it almost makes you sick.
41. You think summer doesn’t nearly last long enough.